Senior School Preparation
BEYOND WESTWARD SCHOOL
It is essential that we help prepare your child for the move to senior school. We have a successful record to maintain.
As children progress up the School, they are given increasing amounts of responsibility and encouraged to develop their self confidence in order to ensure a smooth transition to larger senior schools.
The choice of senior school is taken very seriously by Westward and the senior management team will meet with parents to discuss this important next step, considering all aspects of potential schools from academic achievement to size, location and suitability.
A TIMELINE IN THE SELECTION OF A SECONDARY SCHOOL
- Draw up a list of potential schools and obtain prospectuses.
- Do your desk research for accessibility / ethos / specialities / GCSE and A Level results / destination of leavers / value added scores.
- Speak to the senior management team about the schools they would recommend for your child based upon this list. They will have a realistic view of the most suitable.
- Draw up a short list of schools to visit before Open Day season starts.
- Find out from your short listed schools what they run in the way of familiarisation days. Boarding schools will also offer Taster Weekends for children wishing to see what boarding is really like.
- Visit 3 or 4 schools on Open Days.
- Revisit all or those that you and your child like best, on a normal working day to see how children behave. Watch lessons, speak to the Head and meet the pupils when they are not on show.
- You can then register for as many schools as you like. Then be reasonable and realistic about the schools for which you have registered your child.